Posted: Thursday, 10 August 2017
Work type: Volunteer
Hours required: 10 hours per week (on average)
Location: 333 Exhibition Street, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia 3004
Position title: Stakeholder Relations Group Lead
Supervision & support:
Team: Marketing & Communications
Report to: Marcomms Team Lead
The Stakeholder Relations (SR) Group Lead focuses on engaging with our audiences, partners and communities through analysis and research to ensure that we are reaching all of our networks in effective and engaging manner. The SR Group Lead is responsible for managing all aspects of planned publicity campaigns and PR activities, working with members within their team to create these campaigns based on the research and analysis undertaken. This also includes managing PR activities during periods of crisis (working with the Marcomms Team Lead to do so). This role requires a Lead who is comfortable working with people via email, phone and in person, is comfortable organising and participating in both broadcast and print media interviews, and can participate in networking at MSP-run and external events as required.
Main duties also include:
- Create a well-thought-out PR strategy, and coordinate all public relations activities
- Oversee existing professional & non-professional relationships and cultivate new contacts within business, academia, industry and the public, as well as build communicative strength amongst MSP teams/groups
- Undertake research and analysis of pertinent industry & community trends that affect the way the program is/should be connecting with our professional and non-professional partners & audiences (e.g. surveys, feedback, academic research and insight into how technologies and globalisation affect communications), working with the SRG officers to create PR strategies and campaigns based on research
- Mapping out a PR-specific strategy that supports and extends PR initiatives, both short- and long-term. Continuous evolvement of strategy is a must, based on the branding, marketing & communications strategy developed by the Marcomms Team Lead.
- Build relationships with thought leaders to grow industry awareness
- Provide editorial support for press release writing undertaken by the SRG officers
- Assist SRG Officers in learning how to accomplish certain tasks and responsibilities within their roles, as well as providing support to the group as needed
- Undertaking or completion of a Bachelor of Commerce or Major Marketing & Management; or Bachelor of Arts, Major – Media and Communications; or
– Admission to or undertaking a relevant Master’s degree is desired, but not required
- Experience with a PR or marketing team is desired, but not required
- Available and able to commit to the program for at least 8-10 months, including through the summer holiday
Skills & Experience:
- Organised and able to meet deadlines, completing tasks at a high standard
- Strong leadership and management skills; ability to effectively coordinate a team, as well as provide direction for the team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative
- Effective time management and adapatability
- Ability or willingness to learn how to create a well-thought marketing strategy
- Ability to document all work done and file appropriately
- Attend all team meetings as well as other departmental and organisational-wide meetings when required
- Work with fellow MSP volunteers and other stakeholders in a professional manner at all times
- Demonstrate continued capability to work individually as well as contribute to team work and discussion
- Contribute to the development of MSP through dedication and commitment to its work and its organisational culture
- Demonstrate enthusiasm and interest in learning more, and developing and mastering personal and professional skills
- Ensure that the office space used during for work is left clean and presentable
Benefits to the volunteer:
- The Melbourne Space Program strives to support and encourage the personal and professional development of all its volunteers.
- Supplement your university studies with hands-on experience that will help you hone existing technical abilities and gain new skills.
- Gain experience working in a professional environment, with the opportunity to cultivate soft skills needed to excel in any field of work.
- Gain confidence in your ability to work effectively in a team.
- Challenge yourself to achieve personal and professional goals.
- Meet people who are just as passionate and ambitious as you are.
- Make a difference – this is the opportunity to be a part of a friendly and dedicated team working to build a nano-satellite, inspire and engage Australians, and support a strong aerospace sector!
To apply, please submit a cover letter (optional) and your CV here. Questions regarding this role may be sent via our website Contact Form.