Posted: Monday, 14 August 2017
Work type: Volunteer
Hours required: 10 hours per week (on average)
Location: 333 Exhibition Street, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia 3004
Position title: Project Management Lead
Job Type: Project Management Office
Report to: Managing Director
Main duties and key responsibilities:
The Project Management Lead role is heavily engaged with the management of the Melbourne Space Program’s technical projects. This role will enable efficient project practices, ensuring quality control through close collaboration with the Engineering Manager and the Engineering Team Lead’s. This role will involve the management of the Project Management Office to ensure accurate scoping, budgeting and, scheduling, and that appropriate management tools & resources are implemented within each project.
The main duties will include:
- Leading and managing the Project Management Office
- Implementing industry best-practice processes and lifecycles as appropriate for the Melbourne Space Program
- Accountability for quality control of the technical projects, alongside the Engineering Manager and teams
- Implementing tools and resources to control technical projects
- Preparing weekly report briefs to update the Executive Leadership of project activities
- Ownership and management of the schedule for technical projects
- Meeting with the Executive Leadership on a weekly basis to provide feedback
- Continuous improvement of project management processes and culture to meet needs of the Melbourne Space Program
- Main project focus will be CS-1, the Melbourne Space Program’s first CubeSatellite
Skills & Experience:
- High level of initiative and self-motivation
- Willingness to learn and work within a team
- Strong time management skills
- Attention to detail and strong communication skills
- Ability to coordinate across departments
- Leadership qualities
- Coordinate with Engineering teams effectively
- Implement appropriate Project Management practices as appropriate
- Efficient management of processes and resources, and the Project Management Office team
- Gain a wealth of experience in Project Management and understanding of technical projects
- Attend all team meetings as well as other departmental and organisational-wide meetings when required
- Work with fellow MSP volunteers and other stakeholders in a professional manner at all times
- Demonstrate continued capability to work individually as well as contribute to team work and discussion
- Contribute to the development of MSP through dedication and commitment to its work and its organisational culture
- Demonstrate enthusiasm and interest in learning more, and developing and mastering personal and professional skills
- Ensure that the office space used during for work is left clean and presentable
Benefits to the volunteer:
- The Melbourne Space Program strives to support and encourage the personal and professional development of all its volunteers.
- Supplement your university studies with hands-on experience that will help you hone existing technical abilities and gain new skills.
- Gain experience working in a professional environment, with the opportunity to cultivate soft skills needed to excel in any field of work.
- Gain confidence in your ability to work effectively in a team.
- Challenge yourself to achieve personal and professional goals.
- Meet people who are just as passionate and ambitious as you are.
- Make a difference – this is the opportunity to be a part of a friendly and dedicated team working to build a nano-satellite, inspire and engage Australians, and support a strong aerospace sector!
To apply, please submit a cover letter (optional) and your CV here. Questions regarding this role may be sent via our website Contact Form.